A 2012 Thank You from Our Braemar Club President
Dear BCLFSC Members and Coaches,
As the end of the calendar year draws to a close, I would like to extend a special “Thank You” to our more than 160 dedicated members and coaches whose passion and contributions have allowed us to grow and sustain our club during what continues to be a challenging economic time.
Volunteers are the life blood of organizations like ours and we are fortunate to have a number of individuals that routinely donate their time and financial resources for the benefit of all. Please join me in thanking them for their enthusiasm and dedication.
I encourage each of you to ask how you can help make a difference so that others who have an interest in our sport can find the time to cultivate the same passion that you and your child have developed. This is how we ensure the future of our sport – by giving back to each other.
Within this context, I would like to share a few of the many accomplishments of the past year – accomplishments made possible because of volunteers like you:
1) In January, we introduced many families to skating with a free event in recognition of National Skating Month.
3) Built a fund balance of $50,000 (as of Nov 30, 2012 excluding reserves). After years of diligent work by previous Boards to preserve our legacy, the club is poised to reinvest in its membership again in 2013. Please share with our Board any ideas you have for benefitting our membership with these funds.
4) Formalized and strengthened our relationship with the City of Edina resulting in:
- Permanent dedicated ice time in the East Rink, Locker and Coaching Rooms
- Priority scheduling for BCLFSC events
- Securing Capital Improvement Commitments (2013-2015): Painting the East Arena, Replacing the Low-E ceiling, Replacing the ballet floor, refurbishing/remodeling the bathrooms
5) A new Sound System
6) Awarded the USFSA distinction of Host Club for the 2015 Midwestern and Pacific U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships
- Offering BCLFSC the opportunity to showcase our club to more than 2,500 expected participants.
7) The Holiday POPs exhibition benefitting VEAP generated over $2,000 in cash plus food donations.
Over the last year, our full and associate members took 125 tests with better than a 65% “passing” score ranging from pre-preliminary to adult bronze level moves in the field. In addition, our members competed in several individual and team (synchronized) events earning local, regional, national and international USFSA awards including the designation of Team USA for our Junior Synchronized Team.
These collective accomplishments were achieved despite two unexpected mechanical failures that severely limited ice time before key competitions and our holiday exhibition.
As we look toward the New Year (our 46th season), I want to assure you that your Board is doing everything it can to make your club the best that it can be now and in the future. Your Board members are very engaged and dedicated to making a positive difference. Please help shape the future of our club by engaging your fellow members in discussion about the future of our club and by sharing your ideas for improvement with our Board.
Whether you are competing or simply enjoy the sport of skating, please seek out opportunities to be an active participant in your club. Let others know about BCLFSC and encourage them to visit and/or join us in preservation and growth of our sport.
I wish you and your families all the best in this coming New Year!